Established 2007, Antiquates Ltd is an Antiquarian bookseller with a shop in the heart of the Dorset countryside.
We sell books from our Wareham shop (12a West St, Wareham, Dorset, BH20 4JX – Tel 01929 556656), in catalogues and via our website. Specialising in early printed books both English and Continental, we nevertheless stock a wide range of works on paper from 1500-present.
Our bias is towards the unusual, the interesting and the important – and is perhaps best described by reference to a selection of the most interesting items that we have offered for sale in recent years:
– Browne Willis’ copy of the First Edition of Dugdale’s Monasticon Anglicanum (London, 1655-73), in three volumes – Still available!
– The 1611 Book of Common Order bound by the Edinburgh publisher Andro Hart
– The manuscript notebook of Claud Alexander, containing contemporary transcriptions of sermons preached in the final days of the Paisley Witches
– Thomas Weld’s copy of a folio Tudor Armorial, beautifully illustrated and annotated throughout, with Stuart Additions
– Edgeworth family copies of first editions of many of Sir Walter Scott’s works, many inscribed by Maria Edgeworth
– Numerous works from the Fasque library of the Gladstone family, including a first edition of Malthus’ Principles of Political Economy (London, 1820)
– A collection of works from the library of a Scottish instrument maker and ‘peasant astronomer’: James Veitch of Inchbonny
– The first edition of Fallopio’s groundbreaking anatomical work Observationes Anatomicae (Venice, 1561)
– A sammelband of Restoration playbooks, including the first appearance of Betterton’s revised edition of William Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Pt. 1.
Our service does however extend beyond the simple sale of rare volumes – we also buy books, undertake auction commissions and advise on library development. Valuation services for insurance and probate are also available.
All books are expertly wrapped, dispatched via national and international postal or courier services, and fully insured from our door to yours.
Any item offered for sale on this website can be purchased directly from us, with payments accepted via cheque, bank transfer or Paypal, please feel free to contact us by using the form or details below. We look forward to hearing from you!
12a West St.
Phone: 01929 556656
Mobile: 07921 151496
We send occasional e-mail newsletters with notices of new catalogues, new acquisitions, special offers and details of the book fairs we are attending.
If you would like to receive such emails, please fill in your details below.